Tuesday, December 23, 2008

How did I end up here?

It's hard to remember where it all started but I think it was somewhere around the age of 11 when i was diagnosed with SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus) an auto-immune disease which left me needing large quantities of cortisone steroids right through puberty. As a teenager with body image issues, life saving medication with weight gain as a significant side effect did nothing for my self esteem. Although my weight gain at this time was considerably influenced by the medication, I also believe that I used this as an excuse to over eat.
When my two daughters were born, during my 20s, I was required to have both children in a city hospital as my weight posed too high a risk for a country hospital.
Since the birth of my second daughter in 1998 I have tried a variety of diets and fads but I never had my head in the right place. In January of this year I made the decision that my weight had held me ransom for too much of my life and it was time for me to take control. The difference this time was that I had made the decision to do it for myself, not for the doctor, Mum, husband etc. I joined (rejoined) Weight Watchers and was determined that this time it would be different. Although the journey so far has not been without hiccups, I am so proud of myself to have lost over 30kg and my goal weight is finally in sight.
The biggest changes for me have been my attitude to exercise and the choices I make for food. I used to find any excuse not to exercise where as now it is a priority at least five times a week and I love it, and I now choose to eat healthy, filling foods that make me feel great.
I look forward to sharing the continuation of my journey with you and introducing you to my fabulous family along the way.
Merry Christmas to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy

    Firstly congratulations on your weight loss so far that is fantastic. I look forward to keeping up with your journey and see how you are going. I am 40 years old and have a six year old daughter Briannah and like you have felt that most of my adult life my weight has hindered me especially after I had my daughter. I have now lost 20kgs and am a third of the way through my journey, its a long way but I'm so looking forward to being a fit and healthy mum who can finally enjoy life! I wish you all the best. Have a great christmas and watch us shine in 2009! Cheers Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy
    Lovely photos (how about a before photo). You have done so well with your weight loss especially after your medical history. Look forward to seeing your goal photo.

    ReplyDelete